Whether you’re a breed loyalist or dedicated rescuer, there’s always more to learn about our four-legged best friends. The best pet for your home may not be one that would fit well in your neighbor’s. So how can we know what type of pet would make our ideal companion? In this month’s podcast, Chief Embracer Laura Bennett and Dr. Patrick Mahaney tackle questions about what to look for in a breeder, doggie DNA tests, and more:
- Is there are any truth to the rumor that mixed breeds are actually healthier than purebred pets?
- With the popularity of "designer" hybrid mixes, are there any breed combos people should shy away from?
- What are some red flags that you may be dealing with a commercial breeder/puppy mill?
- When it comes to working with a reputable breeder, what should you look for in terms of their contracts and health testing requirements?
- Are there significant differences in temperament between a purebred and a mixed breed?
- How reliable are pet DNA tests? Would a DNA test help identify breed traits that can affect health, nutrition, behavior/training and exercise decisions?