Your cat is an important member of your family, which makes it crucial to approach veterinary medical care for your furry companion in a manner that best suits your cat’s health needs while minimizing stress. As a house-call, concierge veterinarian, Dr. Mahaney heavily invests time and energy into the wellbeing of his feline patients and promoting a cat-safe home environment. Dr. Mahaney values the long-term relationships he builds with his cat-owning clients and the opportunity to integrate into the unique caretaking team each household provides.
A Comprehensive Approach To Feline Veterinary Medicine
Cats are masters of disguise when it comes to sickness. Clinical signs of illness that your cat may show often are subtle and can include changes in behavior, appetite, and elimination (urination and defecation) patterns. Any such change should create concern that a mild to severe ailment may be occurring and merits communication with a veterinarian like Dr. Mahaney to schedule a consultation. Dr. Mahaney is capable of handling many aspects of feline health including establishing diagnoses and treatment protocols, preventive care, and appropriate specialist referrals.
Cat Health Services And Treatments
Dr. Mahaney specializes in the following cat health services for felines of all ages, pure and mixed breeds, and medical histories, including:
- Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine: Needle and laser acupuncture, acupressure massage, electrostimulation, aquapuncture, Chinese herbs, Chinese medicine food energy therapy, and more are all aspects in which Dr. Mahaney is trained as a Certified Veterinary Acupuncturist (CVA).
- Allergy Testing and Treatment: Blood allergy testing for regional environmental allergens and formulation of hyposensitization treatment along with food elimination trials.
- Behavior Services: Assessing cat behavior concerns for underling medical problems, as you have have seen him do on Animal Planet’s My Cat From Hell. Dr. Mahaney partners with cat trainers and veterinary behaviorists to achieve desirable outcomes.
- Cancer Treatment: Taking the integrative approach to cancer treatment helps dogs better tolerate chemotherapy, radiation, and other treatments while prioritizing quality of life.
- Dental Care: Promotion of periodontal health through daily home dental care with tooth brushes, chews, wipes, and supplements.
- Dermatology: Exploring the complex associations between skin problems and internal organ health, food, environmental and insect allergies, grooming, and more.
- Diagnostic Imaging: Diagnostic imaging with radiographs (x-rays), ultrasound, computed tomography (CT scan), and MRI coordinated at Los Angeles-area emergency and specialty hospitals.
- Emergency Care: Dr. Mahaney provides a helping hand in the time of emergency through communication and a house call consultation or referral to an emergency facility.
- End of Life Care: Saying goodbye to your cat is one of the hardest decisions owners must make and home euthanasia is one of the greatest gifts you can provide to an elderly or sick feline companion. Dr. Mahaney can help your cat transition over the rainbow bridge in the comfort of your home and facilitate aftercare services.
- Eye Care: Dr. Mahaney is trained to recognize feline-specific eye diseases and can perform diagnostics and prescribe treatments based on your cat’s medical needs.
- Flea and Tick Prevention: Establishing the preventive medications, environmental modifications, and treatments to reduce potential for flea and tick-borne disease.
- Health Certificates: If your cat is traveling domestically or internationally or requires proof of immunization, Dr. Mahaney is certified to provide appropriate veterinary health certificates.
- Heartworm Prevention: Although most cats live indoor lifestyles and Southern California has a low incidence of heartworm disease, Dr. Mahaney recommends year-round prevention due to patient travel tendencies, climate change, and wildlife reservoirs that harbor the disease and lurk in close proximity to client homes.
- Nutraceuticals (Supplements): Although prescription drugs and surgery are important treatments, Dr. Mahaney recommends supplements to promote healthier feline bodies regardless of life stage
- House Calls: Reducing your cat’s stress experienced by leaving the home and being transported to the veterinary hospital is beneficial both you and your feline friend.
- Intestinal Parasite Prevention and Treatment: Intestinal parasite prevention, environmental control, and early detection via fecal testing are crucial to keep your cat’s digestive tract and whole body healthy.
- Kitten Care: Healthy kittens generally grow into hearty adults, so Dr. Mahaney caters to your kitten’s unique medical, behavioral, and lifestyle needs.
- Laboratory Testing: Blood/fecal/urine testing, skin scraping/culture/impression smear, fluorescein eye stain, Schirmer Tear Test, and others are regularly used to get a complete picture of your cat’s health.
- Laser Therapy: Dr. Mahaney uses laser treatment to help control his patients’ caused by arthritis, intervertebral disc disease (IVDD), tendon/ligament/muscular injury, and other issues causing discomfort and help heal skin inflammation and infection.
- Medications: When your cat requires medication Dr. Mahaney will prescribe the appropriate treatment on-site or through local or on-line human and veterinary compounding pharmacies.
- Microchip ID: Microchip scanning and domestic and international microchip implantation can help identify your dog and increase the likelihood of a safe and timely return home.
- Nutraceuticals (Supplements): Although prescription drugs and surgery are important treatments, Dr. Mahaney recommends supplements to promote healthier feline bodies regardless of life stage.
- Nutrition: Nutrition education and the provision of human-grade, whole-food diets are crucial components of lifelong optimal canine health.
- Pain Management: Dr. Mahaney takes a multimodal approach to his canine patients’ pain to reduce reliance on medications potentially having serious adverse side effects.
- Preventive Care: Prevention is the best medicine, so Dr. Mahaney creates a comprehensive preventive care program tailored to your cat’s individual needs, age, and lifestyle.
- Semi-Annual Wellness Exams: A cornerstone of preventive care, performing semi-annual wellness exams helps Dr. Mahaney best-manage feline health problems and detect emerging ailments before significant clinical signs of illness appear.
- Senior Care: Cats are considered seniors at seven years of age, so their health care needs change with greater attention placed on wellness services, prevention of injury and illness, and nutrition.
- Spay or Neuter: Dr. Mahaney helps make his patients optimally healthy for surgery and then partners with area general practice and specialty veterinarians for feline neuter and spay surgeries.
- Surgery: Dr. Mahaney’s refers to board-certified veterinary surgeons to provide the most-experienced approach to your dog's soft tissue, neurologic, or orthopedic surgery needs and can help with post-op pain management and rehabilitation.
- Vaccinations: Judicious vaccination administration based on a cat’s age, medical history, and lifestyle is recommended as are antibody titers (blood testing) to prevent unnecessary vaccination for felines already having sufficient vaccine-induced immunity.
An Emphasis On Cat Nutrition
As an advocate of whole-food nutrition for his own health, Dr. Mahaney is passionate about nutrition for his feline patients. Kittens, adults, and seniors each have special nutritional considerations and Dr. Mahaney will help you understand your cat’s nutritional needs, including:
- The best single or combination feeding style for each pure or mixed breed, age and activity level
- Human foods that can be added to meals or given as snacks
- Healthy commercial-available cats treats
- What human and pet foods and treats to avoid feeding your feline friend
- Appropriating feeding strategies to promote weight gain, loss, or maintenance
Understanding the nutritional needs of your cat is an important part of your responsibility to ensure a healthy and happy life for many years to come.
A Commitment To Quality And Empathy In Veterinary Care For Cat
Dr. Mahaney works to provide both you and your cat with a compassionate and professional experience. From the initial consultation to follow up communication and examinations, it is his goal to make sure that your concerns are addressed, you understand the course of action with diagnostics and treatment, and that your feline companion receives the best care.