Dr. Patrick Mahaney’s approach to canine veterinary medicine is founded on providing comprehensive and compassionate care aimed at promoting your dog’s best quality of life regardless of life stage. Dr. Mahaney’s veterinary practice is more specialized and personalized than the experience you have when you go to the typical general practice veterinary hospital. As a house-call, concierge veterinarian, he heavily invests time and energy into the wellbeing of his canine patients. Dr. Mahaney values the long-term relationships he builds with his dog-owning clients and the opportunity to integrate into the unique caretaking team each household provides.
A Comprehensive Approach To Canine Veterinary Medicine
Dr. Mahaney understands that a veterinarian’s success is based on the ability to successfully prevent, diagnose and treat whatever ailment a dog may be facing. Equally as important is a veterinarian’s ability to empathically listen to clients and communicate well with owners and support staff to fully understand a dog’s health concerns and to make the best diagnostic testing and treatment plan.
Dr. Mahaney is capable of handling many aspects of canine health including establishing diagnoses and treatment protocols, preventive care, and appropriate specialist referrals.
Dog Health Services And Treatments
Dr. Mahaney specializes in the following dog health services for dogs of all ages, pure and mixed breeds, and medical histories, including:
- Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine: Needle and laser acupuncture, acupressure massage, electrostimulation, aquapuncture, Chinese herbs, Chinese medicine food energy therapy, and more are all aspects in which Dr. Mahaney is trained as a Certified Veterinary Acupuncturist (CVA).
- Allergy Testing and Treatment: Blood allergy testing for regional environmental allergens and formulation of hyposensitization treatment along with food elimination trials
- Behavior Services: Assessing dog behavior concerns for underling medical problems and partnering with dog trainers and veterinary behaviorists to achieve desirable outcomes.
- Cancer Treatment: Taking the integrative approach to cancer treatment helps dogs better tolerate chemotherapy, radiation, and other treatments while prioritizing quality of life.
- Dental Care: Promotion of periodontal health through daily home dental care with tooth brushes, chews, wipes, and supplements.
- Dermatology: Exploring the complex associations between skin problems and internal organ health, food, environmental and insect allergies, grooming, and more.
- Diagnostic Imaging: Diagnostic imaging with radiographs (x-rays), ultrasound, computed tomography (CT scan), and MRI coordinated at Los Angeles-area emergency and specialty hospitals.
- Emergency Care: Dr. Mahaney provides a helping hand in the time of emergency through communication and a house call consultation or referral to an emergency facility.
- End of Life Care: Saying goodbye to your dog is one of the hardest decisions owners must make and home euthanasia is one of the greatest gifts you can provide to an elderly or sick canine companion. Dr. Mahaney can help your dog transition over the rainbow bridge in the comfort of your home and facilitate aftercare services.
- Eye Care: Dr. Mahaney is trained to recognize canine-specific eye diseases and can perform diagnostics and prescribe treatments based on your dog’s medical needs.
- Flea and Tick Prevention: Establishing the preventive medications, environmental modifications, and treatments to reduce potential for flea and tick-borne disease
- Health Certificates: If your dog is traveling domestically or internationally or requires proof of immunization, Dr. Mahaney is certified to provide appropriate veterinary health certificates.
- Heartworm Prevention: Southern California has a low incidence of heartworm disease, but Dr. Mahaney recommends year-round prevention due to patient travel tendencies, climate change, and wildlife reservoirs that harbor the disease and lurk in close proximity to client homes.
- House Calls: Reducing your dog’s stress experienced by leaving the home and being transported to the veterinary hospital is beneficial both you and your pooch.
- Intestinal Parasite Prevention and Treatment: Intestinal parasite prevention, environmental control, and early detection via fecal testing are crucial to keep your dog’s digestive tract and whole body healthy.
- Laboratory Tests: Blood/fecal/urine testing, skin scraping/culture/impression smear, fluorescein eye stain, Schirmer Tear Test, and others are regularly used to get a complete picture of your dog’s health.
- Laser Therapy: Dr. Mahaney uses laser treatment to help control his patients’ pain caused by arthritis, intervertebral disc disease (IVDD), tendon/ligament/muscular injury, and other issues causing discomfort and help heal skin inflammation and infection.
- Medications: When your dog requires medication Dr. Mahaney will prescribe the appropriate treatment on-site or through local or on-line human and veterinary compounding pharmacies.
- Microchip ID: Microchip scanning and domestic and international microchip implantation can help identify your dog and increase the likelihood of a safe and timely return home.
- Nutraceuticals (Supplements): Although prescription drugs and surgery are important treatments, Dr. Mahaney recommends supplements to promote healthier canine bodies regardless of life stage.
- Nutrition: Nutrition education and the provision of human-grade, whole-food diets (like PURE Dog Food) are crucial components of lifelong optimal canine health.
- Pain Management: Dr. Mahaney takes a multimodal approach to his canine patients’ pain to reduce reliance on medications potentially having serious adverse side effects.
- Preventive Care: Prevention is the best medicine, so Dr. Mahaney creates a comprehensive preventive care program tailored to your dog’s individual needs, age, and lifestyle.
- Puppy Care: Healthy puppies generally become hearty adults, so Dr. Mahaney caters to your puppy’s unique medical, behavioral, and lifestyle needs.
- Semi-Annual Wellness Exams: A cornerstone of preventive care, performing semi-annual wellness exams helps Dr. Mahaney best-manage canine health problems and detect emerging ailments before significant clinical signs of illness appear.
- Senior Care: Dogs are considered seniors at seven years of age, so their health care needs change with greater attention placed on wellness services, prevention of injury and illness, and nutrition. vSpay and Neuter: Dr. Mahaney helps make his patients optimally healthy for surgery and then partners with area general practice and specialty veterinarians for canine neuter and spay surgeries.
- Surgery: Dr. Mahaney’s refers to board-certified veterinary surgeons to provide the most-experienced approach to your dog's soft tissue, neurologic, or orthopedic surgery needs and can help with post-op pain management and rehabilitation.
- Vaccinations: Judicious vaccination administration based on a dog’s age, medical history, and lifestyle is recommended as are antibody titers (blood testing) to prevent unnecessary vaccination for canines already having sufficient vaccine-induced immunity.
An Emphasis On Dog Nutrition
As an advocate of whole-food nutrition for his own health, Dr. Mahaney is passionate about nutrition for his canine patients. Puppies, adults, and seniors each have special nutritional considerations and Dr. Mahaney will help you understand your dog's nutritional needs, including:
- The best single or combination feeding style for each pure or mixed breed, age and activity level
- Human foods that can be added to meals or given as snacks
- Healthy commercial-available dog treats
- What human and pet foods and treats to avoid feeding your canine companion
- Appropriating feeding strategies to promote weight gain, loss, or maintenance
Understanding the nutritional needs of your dog is an important part of your responsibility to ensure a healthy and happy life for many years to come.
A Commitment To Quality And Empathy In Veterinary Care For Dogs
Dr. Mahaney works to provide both you and your dog with a compassionate and professional experience. From the initial consultation to follow up communication and examinations, it is his goal to make sure that your concerns are addressed, you understand the course of action with diagnostics and treatment, and that your pooch receives the best care.