Cocker Spaniel With Cancer Needs Your Help

April 28, 2010

Months back, I shared the story of Miranda’s battle with cancer (see Miranda’s Cancer Survival Story). Miranda, a Cocker Spaniel, exudes such exuberant energy that one would not immediately realize harbors the tendency for a life threatening disease. Miranda’s fighting spirit and amazing ability to overcome adversity is truly an inspiration for other ill pets and the people that care for them.

During Miranda’s initial episode with mammary adenocarcinoma, she responded remarkably well to surgical and medical treatments, along with acupuncture and other traditional Chinese veterinary medicine (TCVM). After finishing chemotherapy treatments, Miranda’s follow up evaluations yielded no cause for concern, therefore it seemed as though her cancer battle had been won.

Unfortunately, after a few months of seemingly worry free existence, Miranda developed a mass similar to those previously treated. The mass was surgically excised and biopsied, revealing the presence of a new mammary adenocarcinoma. At this point, it was apparent that Miranda’s battle with cancer was not yet over.

Miranda is now undergoing long term cancer treatment at the Veterinary Cancer Group in Los Angeles, CA. The treatment and diagnostics (required to monitor her baseline organ system functions) are a considerable emotional, logistical, and financial investment for Miranda’s foster parent and Southern California Cocker Spaniel Rescue (Cocker Connections). The burden of Miranda’s illness has created a need for your help.

Please make a financial donation in Miranda’s name to Cocker Connection or Veterinary Cancer Group. Cocker Connection is a 501-C3 organization, so your donation is tax deductible.

The Cocker Connection website permits secure, on-line donations through PayPal.

Checks can be sent to:
Cocker Connection
3512 Bear Creek Court
Newbury Park, CA  91320-5071
Contact representative Ann 805-499-4488
or
Veterinary Cancer Group
9599 Jefferson Boulevard
Culver City, CA  90232
310-558-6120
Please write Miranda- Cocker Connection on the “For” line on the bottom left of the check.

If you are unable to make a financial donation, please help spread the word about Miranda to other pet lovers and philanthropists.

Thank you from Miranda, Cocker Connection, and Dr. Mahaney

{ 14 comments… read them below or add one }

Avrillé de Vallière August 13, 2010 at 6:00 AM

I’ve read much about the cancer prevention and healing properties of turmeric .Google it. It will take a while but it will help for sure. All good things take time and love. Peace

Patrick Mahaney August 17, 2010 at 7:23 AM

Thank you for your suggestion re: Tumeric. I often suggest that my clients add Tumeric to their dog’s food if their pet is dealing with a cancer diagnosis. Unfortunately, it is not very palatable and some pet’s won’t readily accept it. Dr. PM

Avrillé de Vallière August 18, 2010 at 12:33 AM

Actually, it does not have a strong flavor.There was a bit of fussing in the beginning but better safe than sorry so no mollycoddling on my part :)
It should be introduced into their food a bit at a time. I now use about two tablespoons of the powder into my 2 dogs and 7 cats food as a preventive measure against ailments ranging from cancer to ringworm to many other ailments caused by commercially produced food and drugs which I used to use before I became aware of the diseases they cause. It works really well.
I’ve switched from commercially produced pet food to home made food. Fresh sardines or meat with a bit of cooked red rice, a boiled egg a week and a little coconut oil a couple of times a week gives them all they need. I also give them some neem oil as a preventive measure against worms so no worms! :) No side effects at all as opposed to western medicine which always has a minimum of one or two nasty side effects per drug. I live in Sri Lanka and am studying the ancient science of ayurveda for humans and animals. Hope this helps. Peace
Peace

Patrick Mahaney August 18, 2010 at 6:42 AM

Thank you for the awesome suggestions for pet owners that view my web page. Great remarks about the possible uses for infectious organisms. Dr. PM

Avrillé de Vallière August 19, 2010 at 2:02 AM

You are most welcome. The ayurvedic prevention and treatment methods I use for myself and my animals work a 100%, we are living proof that it does. We have become naturally immune to many common diseases. Illness is such a seldom affair in our household in spite of the many pets and tropical climate.
Modern medicine is an elaborate scam to say the least. Research into the side effects of western medicine and food will expose the truth. It’s all about money, not health… lol
Peace

Chris September 3, 2010 at 10:12 PM

My 13 yr old spitz had been diagnosed with bone cancer. I would not put her through Chem. Every morning with her food 1 Essiac capsule( from the original source info@essiaccanada.ca) She will turn 15 in 2 months. She shows no sign of the cancer cells today. Hope this helps

Patrick Mahaney September 4, 2010 at 9:52 AM

Thank you for your story and the suggestion for Essiac capsules. I will research as a possible option for my patients. Dr. PM

Casey October 6, 2010 at 1:41 PM

Re: Avrillé de Vallière

Thank you for your suggestion of Tumeric. I am Miranda’s owner and reviewed the suggestion with her primary Oncologist (Dr. Mona Rosenberg) who Dr. Mahaney referred me to and she completely approved of it’s use for Miranda. I’ve also added a supplement called Pau d’ Arco, another called Mushroom Immune Defense and Co Q-10. The Co–Q-10 is to help her heart rebound from any side effects from her first round of Chemo which was Adriamycin. And of course I am continuing on the supplements that Dr. Mahaney recommended.

Thank you for your input.

Sincerely,
Casey Costa

Casey October 6, 2010 at 1:42 PM

Re: Chris

Thank you so much for your information and the website link. I look forward to Drs. Mahaney and Resenberg’s input on this supplement.

Sincerely,
Casey Costa

Peggy November 4, 2010 at 7:54 AM

Miranda is an amazing dog, full of life and offering love to all she meets. Her (foster)mom is pretty incredible too! This is one of those Cocker Spaniels so worthy of donations!

Peggy

Peggy Wilson December 3, 2011 at 7:44 AM

My 8 year old cocker spaniel has been diagnosed with mandibular osteosarcoma. She had a tumor removed from her mouth. Her prognosis does not sound good. With surgery,chemo,and radiation she may live a year. I am reluctant to take part of her mouth off and the sickness envolved with chemo. I have switched her to a fruit and veggies diet with tuna and a little chicken. She loves it and is experiencing no symptoms. She is as lively as ever. I`m leaning toward continuing this and adding palliative care when needed. Any advice?

Peggy Wilson December 3, 2011 at 7:47 AM

Comment above. Please answer by email. Thanks

Patrick Mahaney December 4, 2011 at 10:59 AM

I am sorry to hear of your pet’s diagnosis and current health issues.
I’ll send you an email.
Dr PM

Avrille May 15, 2012 at 6:22 AM

HI Peggy,

Please send me your email. I have a few suggestions which may be useful in reversing the cancer.

Namasté